Tuesday, July 4, 2017

I have a confession to make.

self portrait of sadness
self portrait of sadness (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I know that this blog is supposed to be a tech blog. However, I think the post I'm about to write is just as useful. Maybe.

For some reason, when I come close to a small success, I start to falter. I second guess myself, procrastinate, or let little "bad luck" situations get in the way.

My story-blog, something that I have been working on for a while, is almost done. The last few posts were late. There are a few times I had to take a "hiatus" because I couldn't bring myself to write anything.

Before, I would make several posts and schedule them every other day at 7:00 am. If something came up (as it always did), there were no worries. I knew a post was all ready to go.

Forcing myself to write makes matters worse. I know that I say that I will be writing all day to get ahead. Instead, I realize that the grout in the bathroom needs to be clean, a section in the drawer needs to be organized, or most commonly, I stay on Facebook and Twitter too long.

The more I try to force myself to write, the more things pop up that need attention.

I wanted to write a book a long time ago. I had this story, percolating in my head for quite some time. Years passed, and most of the story is faded. Most of my notes were lost in three moves and an accident with our travel trailer.

I started this story-blog as a continuation of that book. I hoped that it would jog my memory. It seems, however, that I am sabotaging myself again.

This book isn't the only thing I've started and could not finish. I won't get into that in this post.

So, my question is, how does one overcome this hurdle? How does someone, who recognizes their own sabotage, finally get over it and continue?

Let me know your thoughts.