Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Windows 10 - Con(s)


Since Windows 10 is new, there are a lot of bugs, however, I won't mention them here. As we all know, Microsoft sends updates frequently. Considering Windows 10 is fairly new, It's likely the bugs I mention would have already been patched.

There are, however a couple of serious annoyances that Windows 10 considers as "features". Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I doubt I'm the only one who sees this.

First, the accounts. Out of all of the annoyances, this is the worse. I have six kids.  While most of them use the desktop, I use my laptop to let my youngest son, the two year old, watch videos while I cook.

He somehow manage to open and change the setting one day. I figured it's time to get him his own account. Preferably one that doesn't have admin rights.

Well, you can't just set up a simple account. They have to have an email account. That's right. It's doesn't matter if he's two. He needs an email account.


What on earth does a two year old need an email account for?! To send emails to potential preschools? I guess if they want to get into a good college, I suppose.

Seriously, It would be cool if I can set up an ultra-restrictive account for toddlers. Then I would install some basic educational and video apps, then like android, allow only these apps to display onto the kids screen. They wouldn’t allowed to access any other app - or settings for that matter. He shouldn't even be able to turn off the Wi-Fi.

But, Windows didn't do that and if I want my toddler to have an account so he wouldn't accidentally delete some rather important files, or maybe add his two cents to one of my text documents, or maybe turn the screen upside down.

If you were trying to get the tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist to dump XP or maybe not install linux, this wasn't the way to go. I won't get into the data collecting that goes on either- but believe it or not, that has been happening since Vista, so it's old news. Perhaps, maybe there are some new data collected from the voice recognition program, this can be turned off. 

The other, not half as annoying but still a problem is how Windows handles Wi-Fi. I'm not sure if this is a bug, or something someone didn't think about.

Of course, it may not be so annoying if I hadn't had to reset my Wifi a lot during the day, thanks to the fact that the waypoint is a bit far making it a flaky. Sometimes the antenna doesn't connect and sometimes it won't even show up.







I sometimes will have to use a range extender to reach a working waypoint at the campground as the ones locally don't always work. It doesn't show up in the main window. If I wanted to manage the connection, I have to right-click on the WiFi button and then settings. After that, however, it is easy to manage the WiFi Connections.






 I mentioned a built in store for Windows 10 in my last post on Windows. Well, it turns out that it could be considered a con as well. Instead of working on this post, I was browsing the store and marveling at all of the free programs on there. I know, I shouldn't have excuses... but they're FREE!

Or maybe it isn't as much of a bad thing. I certainly have a lot of fodder for this blog, and I think it's about time  I updated my "Free Stuff" page.