Thursday, February 27, 2014

What's the Point of Copyright anyway?

Image representing Creative Commons as depicte...
Image via CrunchBase
The point of the copyright is supposedly to protect your content, but as the movie and music industry is finding out, it's not as easy as it seems. I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but it's not likely you can totally prevent copying. Actually, there's always someone who will copy your work - even if you disable the right-click (please don't do that and that will be another blog post).

I personally had decided to license my content under the Creative Commons License. Everything that is originally mine can be copied, modified, given away, etc, etc, as long as you link back to me. Why? Because I believe that it will drive traffic. I don't sell my content on here, but I do have links to my AStore and maybe if someone is feeling generous or they think my content is actually worth paying for, I have an "encouragement" fund button to the left.

The best book to check out on the subject of making money, even though you are giving stuff away for free is Free: The Future of a Radical Price by Chris Anderson

If you outsource your material, I suspect the copyright belongs to the original author, unless you have an agreement otherwise.

If you are still interested in keeping your copyright, then it wouldn't hurt to ask. Email the offender and politely mention that you own that content and that it wasn't meant to be copied. Most people don't realize they are violating the law and will remove the content.

Unfortunately, there will always be "those people" who cannot come up with any creative work on their own and will blatantly copy your work anyway. If they are in another country, you can forget it. Copyright is different in each country and unless you have an army of lawyers like the movie or music industry has, it's not likely the authorities will do anything about it.

Your only defense is to constantly be one step ahead of the offenders. Always come up with new and fresh content for your viewers. Your copiers will always have "old news" Eventually, a lot of their viewers will catch on and he will fizzle out of internet existence.

Enhanced by Zemanta