Sunday, February 15, 2015

Amazon Associates Account Closed?!

Amazon hef
Amazon hef (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Imagine my surprise, when I logged in to my Amazon Associates account today to find that it had been closed.

Turns out that I'm still pretty insecure. I automatically assumed that it was some unintentional TOS violation on my part. I immediately emailed them and asked them to resend the closure notice and that I'm sorry for any inconvenience, that I might have caused.
 
Fortunately, it wasn't. As it turned out, it was the State of Vermont's fault.

Okay, it's a little more complicated than that. When I changed my address to Texas on my Amazon account, I had assumed that my address had also changed on my Associate's account. So it was partly my fault.

However, Social programs costs the state more than what it would cost charitable organization and that money has to come from somewhere.

VT had made a new complicated tax law to make sure that only the hardworking, industrious, middle class are taxed. You don't want to tax the poor, obviously, and of course if you tax the rich, they won't stay and pay the extensive property tax or pay the high "luxury" tax (restaurants and hotels).

Unfortunately, eventually, the only people left to tax will be the rich.


In the meantime, I live in Texas, which has NO income tax. I got a new Amazon Associates ID. Unfortunately, this means that all of the items I had promoted have the wrong ID on it so unless I go change that ID, it's likely I will only be making money on future referrals.

For those of you who have their account closed, don't assume the worse. Email them. The support team had been very helpful to me and even though I can't get those old IDs back, at least I was able to get something back.

Oh, and... Thanks a lot, Vermont.