Saturday, April 22, 2017

Should you give Up YouTube?

Español: Logo Vectorial de YouTube
Español: Logo Vectorial de YouTube (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
(Last one on the subject, I promise)

So my last post and the one before that, I talked about alternative ways to making money on YouTube. However, there are a lot of people who want to leave YouTube altogether.

I don't know if that's a good idea, yet. The people that are hit the hardest, are the ones who have thousands of subscribers. The problem with leaving YouTube is that you will be mostly starting over. A lot of your fans will go there with you, but most won't give up watching YouTube unless they have some incentive. That incentive has to be bigger than the consequences of change.

YouTube, on the other hand, had been a money pit for the longest time. Then they manage to strike a deal with large corporate sponsors. Suddenly YouTube was making a lot of money and it appeared to be finally self-sustainable.

Google is a business. They need to make a decision that will make money. As bad as it looks for content creators, Google cannot alienate them either.

However, cross-posting to other sites isn't a bad idea. You may find new viewer on lesser used sites. So, below is a list of site you might want to check out.

First, the two sites that I settled on:

Minds.com
I signed up to Minds a while back, found that they have a long way to go before they were a viable alternative to any social media site. I completely forgot about it until the recent demonetization fiasco. Suddenly, "minds.com" was turning up everywhere and I decided to give them another shot.

It's more like Facebook with a blog feature. The media uploads need a little work. Again, stay on YouTube where you can post your video, then embed it on Minds. I have a feeling that uploading and posting videos will become easier as time goes on.

Vid.me
I've seen this one pop up a lot recently. I signed on but I haven't posted any videos - yet. I planned on cross posting from YouTube when, if ever, I get started on vblogging again.

There are two direct opportunities for monetization. The first is tips. There is a little link at the bottom of your video that allows people to give you money. The other opportunity is you can charge for a subscription. Vid.me only allows this if you verify your account and since I mostly use Vid.me for commenting on other people's videos, I didn't get that far. It does seem straightforward.

I did upload a video:



The embed feature needs some work. I should be able to state the width and the height should adjust accordingly in the embed code. Unfortunately, with Blogger, you need to embed the video using HTML. With YouTube, you can just put in the URL.



The following I haven't checked out. Keep in mind that these are only potential alternatives. They may or may not be for you. The only way you will know if you check them out yourself.

Vimeo.com
Vimeo seems to be for potential movie producers and talented Video editors. I didn't see a whole lot of "Fail" video compilations. It does allow you make paid content.

GodTube
For those of you who identify yourself as a Christian and you want to do more Bible studies than this is a site for you. However, while I see ads on the site, I don't think there's a way to monetize your videos. Most of these people have a website where their viewers donate, or they have another means of income.

Then, of course, there are live stream video sites. Unlike YouTube (which also has a live streaming service), they focus more on live streams rather than on uploads. Three Examples:

Ustream.tv (now owned by IBM)
Twitch.tv (Once for just gamers, and now for every creative person)
Livestream.com

Those are just the few that I found that might be worth cross-posting to. If you do a google search, there are plenty of alternatives, but few are actually as good as YouTube. YouTube has been around long enough to iron the normal bugs out. Which is why I say don't jump ship yet, it's for your own good, at least.

If you think this post was worth anything, share!