Friday, March 7, 2014

Xara Web Designer 9

web browsers
web browsers (Photo credit: Sean MacEntee)
After ranting about copyrights and the evils on websites, I figured I would post on something more useful, this time on another WYSIWYG editor. Unlike the ones I've reviewed in the past, this one happens to not be free. The good news, it's affordable for most people and it's great for those who have very little time to learn any coding as coding is not required.

It was much easier to learn than I thought. It looks a bit more complex than it really is. I was able to get a page started with only opening the help file once.

The only problem is that I use a content management system for my websites called "Modx". After converting the webpage, I still have to hand-code the navigation bar if I want to use the built in Menu system of the cms. So I gave up on using it for one site and instead made a demo page, which can be viewed here. I only did this in about 15 minutes, but if I were to include the learning curve that I had with the previous page, I'd say my first page took about 45 minutes.

In the end, if you don't want to use the freebies I suggested, which does require some HTML knowledge, then you might want to consider spending some money. Xara does have a 30-day trial, so you can always download it, then try first before you buy.

Xara Webdesigner Demo Page
Enhanced by Zemanta