Saturday, March 3, 2012

My Tablet adventures - Intro






My mother-in-law bought me an andriod tablet, a Coby Kyros mid8120, for my birthday. I've been setting it up with apps so it's much easier to do things, like read emails, books, and even post to this blog.

If you just want the basics, this tablet is as basic as it gets. It costs around $130 on Amazon.com, which for you convenience, you can check my store (powered by Amazon, of course).

I'm still trying to get used to the on screen keyboard which is a little more difficult than I had anticipated. I've certainly memorized where the delete key is, but as I use my tablet more often for blogging and emails, I should become a little more accurate in hitting the keys.

For the cost, it's a decent tablet. It's a resistive screen, but it's surprisingly responsive. It does take a little while for it to boot and I seem to have to resart the wi-fi once in a while. Especailly when it goes into sleep mode, but I suspect, it has a little more to do with the apps I installed.  I'll have to get back to you on that in another post.

While it does come with "Getjar", a form of app store, the apps are limited. I had to get around the lack of the android market by searching the forums. Fortunately, I did not need to "root" my tablet, as in, going into the root directory and risk "bricking" it.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the term, "bricking"a tablet means that you make your tablet as useful as a brick, either by messing with the wrong files, or dropping in water.. Even if someone doesn't brick a tablet, in most cases, it does void the warranty.


I will be adding a new page, which will have resources for tablets, along with some useful sites that will help you streamline your life (yeah, I had to say it).